Monday, November 22, 2010

Realizations

I know it's been a while since I've added anything to all the valuable information I post ;)

I needed a bit of a break from exercising. Just because I needed one. Also, last Thursday I went into NYC to see Wendy Williams, How You Doin'? and walked about 15,000 miles. That's the great thing about the city. All the walking. Anyway, I have been feeling very physically exhausted/unmotivated so I took a small break.

Today, I went to the Y and did some C25K. Yes, I'm still doing week 1. It's good I have until the end of next September to prepare because it sure seems like I need the time!!! Anyway, I realized or discovered a couple of things.

1. I run to music. I had to pick songs that allowed me to run at a faster pace. Ironically, when doing this program, the walking portions are harder than the running. I know that doesn't make sense. See, I set the treadmill at a speed & leave it there. My walking strides are faster & smaller than my running strides. I have to hold on to walk so I don't fly off the back of the treadmill, with running I don't. Today I noticed that it was much easier to run with the faster beat songs. My shins didn't get that burning feeling in them.

2. My breathing was better as in I didn't feel like I was gasping for air. Running faster made it seem easier for me to maintain a breathing pattern. I always worry I sound like I'm wheezing & I probably am, but, who cares. It won't always be like that. I also noticed that during the walking portions, my breathing calmed down some & so did my heart rate. I'm pretty sure that's a good thing.

3. Today I made sure that each time I had to run, it was a strong run. My head & chest were up. The first week of C25K goes like this: it's a 25 minute session. You have a brisk 5 minute warm up walk & then you run for 60 seconds, then walk for 90 seconds, constantly alternating for the next 20 minutes. Each time it felt as if I could run a few seconds more than the 60 seconds determined by the C25K program. It may not seem like a big deal but it means I'm not struggling so much to get through the 60 seconds.

I also didn't have my typical breakfast which is usually a bowl of cereal. I had about a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese & a mixed cup of blackberries & raspberries. I'm sure as I get stronger, this may change.

If my runner/triathlete (Leah, Amy) friends would be so kind as to weigh in & tell us if they had these realizations when they started out, or even different ones they would like to share with us........

Today I would like to say keep plugging along if you're doing something. Listen to your body, if it says rest, then rest but don't rest for too long. If it says it feels strong, push it. I count Thursday as an exercise day because of all the walking I did. If I lived in NYC, then I wouldn't count it because it would just be a way of life I adapted to. I rested Friday, Saturday & Sunday but I'm back it it today.

Get moving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment