Monday, November 8, 2010

W1D846999874693

Ok, so that number is a gross exaggeration. Let me explain. In Couch to 5K (C25K) lingo, people who are doing the C25K program tell where they are at in the program by the Week & Day. So in my blog title I essentially said I was still on W1D846999874693. That's untrue. Anyone who knows me in real life, knows I tend to exaggerate, sometimes. In reality I'm at W1D6. The C25K program is a 9 week program essentially, but it does say that if you aren't ready to move to the next week, don't. So I haven't. I've never run, I never thought I'd want to run.

Getting into running isn't easy, well for me. As I've said before, it's hard, really hard, for me. Lifting weights, building stamina on the cross trainer, all much easier than running. If I haven't stretched enough before hand, I feel it quickly. If I didn't eat well the night before, I feel it quickly. You'd think my breakfast would have an impact on how my session goes, and it does, but the night before carries over as well. I lose energy quickly, my legs become tired & heavy.

As I was on the treadmill today, it occurred to me that there is more to running than well, just running. Granted, I'm not quite at a full run, but I will get there. I noticed I had to pay attention to my breathing. During my 60 second jog, I noticed I started to gasp for air. I had to stop myself from doing that, I had to take in a slow deep breath, all while jogging, to stop the gasping. The gasping was throwing my pace off. I know, this probably sounds weird, but it's what was happening. My pace isn't fast, it's only at 3.9 right now, which is ok. I have to learn to keep my breathing steady, so that my pace remains steady. Remember when I talked about my body being a machine? Well it's true. Think about how a machine works. It's not all herky jerky & gawky. It has a flow to it. I'm pretty sure that's how my body is supposed to be when it's in motion, a smooth flow.

I've decided that before I move to W2 in the C25K, it would be best, for me, to be able to do W1 in a smooth & fluid way. To make sure my breathing remains even & my pace steady. Then, when I get to W2, I will do it all over again.

According to my friend Amy, who writes this wonderful blog Byline to Finish Line about her journeys, you increase your speed as your strength & stamina increases. I know I've mentioned Amy & her blog & it's worth mentioning & worth checking out. Yes, I have a friend who is a triathlete, it makes me kind of excited to say that. Knowing Amy before she became a triathlete makes her blog that much better. Anyone can relate to it. You don't need to be as advanced in your athletic skill as Amy to get what her point it. What I like most is that when someone completely inexperienced like me, Amy has the patience to answer my questions I have about the whole running thing. Sure, there is a lot of info in the Internet, but having someone like her to ask a question of, well it's pretty awesome. Anyway, Amy is the one who introduced me to the C25K program. Oddly, she's never done the program. The reason I have mentioned her & her blog is because when you read it, and I hope you do, you will see that she struggles, she succeeds, she has the occasional epiphany & has has friends she looks to as I look to her.

My whole point with the above is we all have a starting point. Amy had to start somewhere & so did I. It's the fact that we haven't stopped. Sometimes you have to step away & come back to clear out your head. Well I do & did, at least. That sometimes things aren't easy & we all work at a different pace. Pretty much what I'm saying is since this whole C25K is hard for me, I'm not going to stop trying. I'm going to keep working at it, at my pace and I will be gathering knowledge and inspiration from those around me to keep pushing forward.

Have a great Monday!!!

Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. You're doing great! I'm happy you have Amy, I'm going to have to check out her blog for sure. It's so important to have running friends to keep you motivated. Runners are pretty much the best people ever.

    I agree with you about the breathing, that's the most difficult part for me I think.

    Enjoy your journey. I remember when I ran my First 5 miles, I worked all summer for it & all I could see was that GOAL. But, when I finally reached the distance, it was completely un-eventful. I wish I'd enjoyed all of the training I'd put into it instead of seeing it as a means to an end.

    Be patient & don't give up!!

    ReplyDelete