Monday, February 22, 2010

Clean Eating

I know I said I would explain Clean Eating. I'm using the help of my "The Eat-Clean Diet" book.

Eating clean really isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle. Simply put, Clean Eating is consuming fresh fruits & vegetables, whole grains & lean protein which you eat at regular intervals throughout the day. No processed crap & sounds very logical.

Clean Eating is really an investment in yourself. One thing people need to remember is food is the fuel for your body. If you fill it with garbage, it runs like garbage. Compare it to your car that has been filled with watered down cheap gas. It doesn't run very well, does it? Well the same thing happens to your body.

The Eat-Clean principles are as follows:

- Eat 5 or 6 small meals every day
- Eat every 2 to 3 hours
- Combine lean protein and complex carbs at every meal
- Consume adequate healthy fats every day
- Drink at least 2 liters, or 8 cups, of water each day
- Never miss a meal, especially breakfast
- Carry a cooler loaded with Eat-Clean food to get through the day
- Avoid all over-processed, refined foods, especially white flour & sugar
- Avoid chemicals, preservatives, and artificial sugar
- Avoid saturated & trans fats
- Avoid sugar-loaded colas & juices
- Consume adequate healthy fats (EFAs) each day
- Avoid alcohol - another form of sugar
- Avoid all calorie dense foods that contain little or no nutritional value
- Depend on fresh fruits & vegetables for fiber, vitamins & enzymes
- Stick to proper portion sizes - give up the super sizing

WOW!!!! That is a lot of information!!! Remember when I said way back when (yesterday) about trying every day? Well, I'm going to try every day. Eventually it will all fall into place. There is no "rule" that it has to be 100% perfect from the start, but this is a starting point. I'm planning to get to that 100% perfect everyday, it's just not going to be tomorrow. Especially after the day I had today, I'm contemplating carrying a flask around full of gin. That isn't very clean eating conscious is it?

Anyway, I will keep reading & sharing, hoping you will share with me too.

Happily,

Elizabeth

2 comments: