Monday, April 26, 2010

Comfort

I've decided to step out of my comfort zone to help get me motivated. It was the only thing I could think of to do.

I've never really wanted to run. It just didn't seem like fun. But lately, I've been feeling very different about it & decided maybe it was time to try something new. So a couple of weeks ago while I was walking, I picked up the pace. I did a couple of small jogs within my walking. My lungs felt like they were going to explode. Of course, I realize this is going to take some work but I'm willing to put the time & effort in.

Last week, as my impending 27th birthday was approaching, I got to thinking that I needed a short term end goal. At work Patrice has been keeping us updated on a little girl named Jordan Yaros. Jordan & her family are friend's with Patrice's family. She has Ewings Sarcoma & just ent through 16 hours of surgery to remove the cancer from her leg. To help the family, 5K a walk/run has been set up for Jordan. I decided as a birthday present to myself I was going to sign up for Jordan's run & I did.

A few days before I signed up, I asked my friend Amy, who is a triathlete by the way, she just competed in the Ironman Lonestar, sent me this link for training called Couch to 5K .

I started it last Monday. It's very easy to follow. I feel confident I will be able to work the program & finish the run. My goal is to just to complete the run. I need to start somewhere. I figure after this run, I will choose a new goal. I was staggering in my exercise, I just couldn't get into it. My eating has been decent, I've noticed small body changes but I just couldn't get moving. This last week has been spent celebrating with food & I have to say, not the smartest decisions. My gut is still a wreck today.

I will post more information about the run as it gets closer. I'm going to have a fundraising site to help Jordan's family. I also have company to run with me. Elysia & Heather are going to do the run with me, we are a team & keep each other motivated. Yeah, it seems like a lot for a 5K but it will be my first ever. We are going to do some workouts together. If anyone else would like to join us in the Run for Jordan go here & sign up. I'm very excited to see my own progress. I can feel the benefits in my body, the areas running impacts. My abs are slightly sore & so is my bum. I'm conscious of my stride, I have to be. Because of the damage to my ankle, I have to be sure not to turn my right foot out or scuff it as I walk/jog. I focus very hard on maintaining a pace that I can work at but also I focus on my body & it's movement.

Stay tuned for my progess!!!!

Happily,

Elizabeth
grazingthroughlife@gmail.com

1 comment: