Thursday, September 23, 2010

Larabars

So most of you know I do my best to eat well & by well I mean as healthy as possible. Lately that's been tough since I was laid off from my job. I've had some emotional eating but also have had to make less than healthy choices due to my income being cut drastically. Anyway, I have something I'd like to share with you.

If any of you eat power bars, meal replacement bars, etc., I have a delicious & healthy kind for you. They are acceptable for a clean eating lifestyle. They are called Larabars. Please click on the name to find out more information. I have tried two different kinds & Jay tried one. I love that Jay is always willing to try something new.

Jay tried the Cashew Cookie & wasn't a big fan. He tried the rest of the bar the next day and said it tasted bit better. There are two ingredients: Cashews & Dates. I don't know what the difference between the days was, maybe he will comment to tell us.

The first one I tried was Peanut Butter Cookie. The ingredients were: Dates, Peanuts & Salt. Here is a picture:

I took the picture with my phone since I didn't have my camera with me. I was also getting my oil changed in my car at the time. The consistency of the bars is very similar to the texture of a crumbly cookie dough. Also, the only sweetness comes from the dates. I'm wondering if it's the combination of those two things Jay didn't like.

The second bar I tried was the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip bar. The ingredients are: Dates, Peanuts, Chocolate Chips*(unsweetened chocolate, sugar, cocoa butter, vanilla) & Salt. Here is a picture of that bar:



Both bars were tasty. They do not have the "commercial" sweet taste of most bars. They are much better for you. They also have about the same amount of calories as some of the meal replacement bars, but without the processed junk in them. If you could eat something for the same nutritional value but happened to be better tasting, wouldn't you try a Larabar?

I picked up some more bars at the grocery store. For those of you who live in NJ & near a Shoprite, Shoprite has them on sale 5 for $5. The website couponmom.com, which is a free website, has a coupon for $.75 off, which will be doubled at Shoprite to be $1.50 off the bars. The Shoprite by me in Franklin, NJ also has 13 flavors of the bars, yes I counted. The other flavors I picked up are: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Chocolate Chip Brownie, Chocolate Coconut Chew, Cherry Pie, Banana Bread & Coconut Cream Pie. Jay, being the great guy he is, is willing to give them a try again. As we try them, I will let you know about how each one tastes.

If any of you give them a try, please let me know what kind you tried and what you think!

Thanks for reading!!

Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment