Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Zumba - Week #3

So I am trying my hand at a little journalism today. After Zumba I spent a little time talking with Jake. I had some general questions, for informational purposes & I wanted to share with you.

First off, meet Jake.



He's 19 & he's our Zumba instructor. He lives locally & he makes the class fun. His mom is also certified, but doesn't teach anywhere. He teaches Zumba at another local gym as well, teaching 10 classes a week. He burns so many calories that he can't gain weight. I can tell you, Zumba burns a lot of calories. I know this by the amount I sweat & the way I huff & puff. If I had a heart rate monitor I'd be able to tell you exactly how many I burn but I don't so I can't. Maybe someone will get me one for Christmas.......

Jake has been certified in teaching Zumba since June. There was a Zumba convention in Atlantic City (how did I miss this event??) and he participated and became certified. He enjoys teaching his classes. Side note, I love Zumba soooo much Ive had several thoughts to keep working at it & becoming certified myself, but I digress...

I asked Jake what sort of person should consider taking Zumba. He said anyone who wants to move should take the class. It doesn't involve a skill level, it's all meant for fun. I can tell you it doesn't involve anything super technical but it is fast paced. It's really hard not to smile or have fun while doing it. Jake also makes the class fun as you do it, he participates & interacts & it's just really a great time. Did you ever think you'd hear an exercise class get called a great time?

Jake did tell me today that he will be teaching hip hop also. I'm pretty sure it's in the next session of classes at the Y. He will still be teaching Zumba as well. I'm going to have to scrap the extra cash together to take both classes. Seeing how he moves during Zumba, I bet his hip hop class will be awesome too.

The downsides to some of the Y classes are you must be a member to be able to take them & you have to pay an extra fee. I used to belong to the other gym that Jake also teaches Zumba at. If you're into testosterone, muscle heads & the smell of funk then I will share the name with you. I'm a big advocate for the Y. It's the exact same price as the other gym I went to except at the Y I have pool use, sauna use, additional free classes, it's extremely clean & I have never seen any of the cardio equipment out of order. I also like the Y because it's very family oriented, even though I don't have a family to go with me, the staff is extremely warm & friendly. So if it's within your means, consider joining your local Y

That's some journalistic writing, right?? Nobel Peace Prize winning?? I crack myself up!!! Anyway, my message is: Get out there & move, try something new, call up a friend, or me, to join you!!! All in all just have fun with what ever it is you choose to do, just get out there & do something!!!

I'm going to leave you with a picture of Jake & I. Maybe it will inspire you to come Zumba with us!!!!

Thanks for reading!!!

Elizabeth




2 comments:

  1. Great research! Does one have to have any sort of rhythm to participate in Zumba? Back in the 90s I had a difficult time keeping up to step aerobics :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To answer your question, no, you don't need rhythm. It's helpful but not necessary. Just try it & have a great time!!!!

    ReplyDelete