Thursday, March 10, 2011

Stuff

I have a bunch of stuff to share. Bear with me, there might be a lot of information involved.

I believe I discovered to cause of the extreme swelling of my ankles, my right one more so than my left. My right one swells more in general due to the damage. We will get to that in a bit.

About 2 weeks ago when I started taking the classes at the Y, I asked Jay to get me some pain reliever. I didn't have anything but Excedrin Migraine, nothing for muscle pain. He grabbed me some Aleve. I didn't think anything of it & stated popping them, taking 2 at a time. I didn't realize until 5am this morning, 2 isn't a dose, it's 1, whoops!! So I was looking at the bottle & it said "Naproxen Sodium Tablets". My thought was "sodium, salt, water retention". So when I got up this morning I looked it up. Guess what I discovered??? Visible water retention & water retention in general are common & severe side effects of naproxen sodium tablets. I won't be taking any more Aleve, time to get my good old standby of Aspirin!!

So the reason I was up taking some Aleve at 5am is because my ankle (the one I shattered) is bothering me. I never complain about it, ever. I never let it hinder me or any physical activity I do. I'm not supposed to do weight bearing exercise & do it at my own risk. My orthopaedic & I had a discussion about it. Let me recap: 10 years ago I shattered both of my leg bones at the ankle joint in a car accident. I also broke my 3 middle toes in that accident. To fix my ankle I had 2 wires & screws put in on the inside of my ankle & on the outside of my ankle I had a bone graft (from a cadaver) a plate & 5 more screws. I've since had the hardware removed. Shortly after, about 3 years after my accident, it was determined that arthritis had already started on the inside of my ankle & at 27 I was deemed a candidate for an ankle replacement, I'm just to young for it to be done. On top of that, there is a "bone bridge" fusing my leg bones together so I will ultimately lose the independent movement each leg bone has. My toes constantly feel as though a sock is bunched up under them & the muscles become very tight at night when I sleep. Yeah, there is a lot going on in there, but yet I don't let it stop me.

Last night, while sitting on the couch putting lotion on my feet, my ankle was making weird noises as I moved it around. It kept cracking & making popping/grinding noises. Gross. Usually I want the joint to crack to feel some relief but it's very painful, almost feels like it's hooked up on something. Nasty. To let my foot hang in a rest position is causing some discomfort. I think it's all from a combination of the rainy weather & my body (ankle) adjusting to the cardio/sculpting classes. I didn't make it to the Y yesterday I was very busy & today I wanted to just give my ankle a little break.

So enough about all that gross stuff......

On Tuesday, in Cardio Pump we were handed Gliding Discs so we could glide. Click here to find out what Gliding is. You would think it wouldn't be a great workout, but it was awesome!! I could really feel it in my thighs (fronts & backs) & hips! We didn't do anything at a fast pace, everything was slow enough to maintain control. I loved it.

The one thing I love about the Cardio Pump classes is that they are never the same. It's always different. There isn't any time for muscle memory. I feel like I get a good workout every time, I mean, I am gross & sweaty when I'm finished. I think Monday I'm going to start taking the Cardio Step class that is offered twice a week. Why not? The classes are part of my membership, I'm trying new active things & I'm challenging myself.

Oh, by the way, my weight happens to be down about 3lbs right now, probably since I haven't had any Aleve in the last couple of days with the exception of this morning.

Have a great day!!

1 comment:

  1. Great work on the 3 lbs lost and on your investigative work :)

    I don't know how you work out so much, sometimes I get tired just from reading about your workouts.:) You're awesome-have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete